Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 4 04:43:31 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 15:29 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> AIUI, the intent was to have (new) users install from a Live CD and use
> Pirut to install "the rest" from the Internet.  I agree that such reasoning
> is incomplete, as the Live CD can't do upgrades, yum upgrades are not
> supported, and some machines with CD drives don't have a fast -- or any --
> Internet connection.  While I think that omitting a full CD installer is a
> mistake, I don't need it; I don't really even need to burn the DVD though I
> do, as a hard disk install is faster and easier for me.

This'd be less of an issue if it were easy to install extra stuff,
afterwards, without an internet connection.  Has the add/remove software
feature been improved in that direction since FC6?

If one could get a smallish installation file, and a largish extra one,
boot from the smaller and install.  Reboot with a working system and add
files from the larger one, in a simple manner, whether from another
burnt disc or directly from the downloaded file, without needing any
sort of network involved, things would be pretty good.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.