FC6 to F7 problem

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Mon Jun 4 12:51:22 UTC 2007

Today William John Murray did spake thusly:

> On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 08:16 -0400, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>>
>> William Murray wrote:
>>
>>>       I am trying to update FC6 to F7 on an old i386 box. 1GHz,
>> 256Meg.
>>> Anyway, the F6  are not found if I use the F7 upgrade disk. It whirs
>>> and offers to install a new system, no upgrade option.
>>>    SO I would like to  do a yum upgrade. But I found Dave Jones'
>> piece:
>>>  http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/72836.html
>>> saying don't risk it.
>>>   Before I saw that I had tried - but it did not work - unsatisfied
>>> dependencies, e.g. gaim needs old python, and yum did not seem to be
>>> swapping gaim for pigeon. This is just one example of many.
>>
>> I can't help, but I've noticed that F7 is really bad
>> at finding FC6 versions.
>> In my case, it did find them but specified random partitions,
>> eg /dev/sda4, which did not correspond to anything.
>>
>> By the way, did you change /etc/fstab to use labels
>> rather than eg /dev/hda3?
>
> No, I didn't use labels. Oops, thanks - I see in the release notes now.
> I'll chase that.
> Bill

Out of interest, a) how do I relabel a drive? And b) after labelling them
will I still need to use the installer to upgrade or can I upgrade using
yum? My server has 4x IDE connectors and 4x drives in those connectors and
no CD/DVD drive so it'd be hassle to upgrade if I can only do it using a
CD/DVD...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003