[FC7] Unnecessary directories in $HOME

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 13:04:09 UTC 2007

Rahul wrote:
>> Boris Glawe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I convince nautilus/gnome, not to create dozens of
>> directories, which I've never requested, during startup?
>> Each time, I log in I have directories, like "Pictues", "Music", etc.
>> I have my own way to sort my files, I don't need gnome's advice for that!
>>
>> I've found information about this new "feature" here:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop
>> It's recommended to uninstall the package xdg-user-dirs.
>>
> Uninstall xdg-user-dirs-gtk and not xdg-user-dirs or change the
> setting in under .config. This isn't GNOME specific btw.

Hi,

Unfortunately this doesn't work. I have just installed F7 on my work PC,
and in trying to remove xdg-user-dirs-gtk found that it is not
installed. During installation I asked to have KDE installed and not
GNOME.

I have tried editing the ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file by setting the
directory names to nothing, or removing the lines completely. However,
whenever I log back in, the .config files and the directories are there
again.

Any ideas?

John.