Finally got around top putting F7 on my lappy & need a radio

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jun 4 14:03:03 UTC 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007, David G. Miller wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Anyway, with all that crap unloaded, and ndiswrapper loaded, the radio led
>> comes on and stays on, till an ifup wlan0 is done.  When that is done, the
>> led under the screen hinge goes off instantly, and of course with the
>> transmitter off, its not going to connect.
>
>Ummmm.  That's the how the radio light always behaves for me (HP
>Pavilion zv6016us, Broadcom 4306 wireless NIC) with ndiswrapper.  It's a
>feature.  The light lights up to indicate traffic.  It's dark
>otherwise.

In that event should I not see some flickering when its sending DHCPREQUESTS?
That would indeed be handier than bottled beer.

When it goes out, its out, dark, nothing.  And I'm sitting in a darkened room,
making see it easy because its a blinding blue that lights up the whole room
when its on.

>Under Windoze, it's on when the radio is enabled and off
>otherwise.  Not as useful.
>
>I got bcm43xx sort of working when FC6 was first released.  I don't
>remember what the radio light behavior was with it.  At the time, the
>only way I could get it to work was by running my AP wide open which
>wasn't acceptable.  FC^h7 will probably be an opportunity to see if it
>works any better now.

I had it working for a little a year ago on fc5, and I had it talking to a
wap11 access point earlier this weekend, but my wap11 is very flaky & hard to
get started, like its powerup reset circuitry isn't.  I may get another AP
when I'm next in town, any suggestions for linux compatibles?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)