Changing to different video card properly

Benjamin Lewis ben.lewis at benl.co.uk
Mon Jun 4 16:51:54 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Christopher Mocock <chris at wavestore.com> wrote:
>> Barry Yu wrote:
>> > FC6 - Every time I changed from a video card to a different one I
>> always
>> > got problem mainly the X server won't start, when removed xorg.conf
>> > filel and restartx sometimes it will auto detect the new card but not
>> > every time.
>> > What is the the proper procedure to switch to a new video card?
>> > Especially the new one is a dual head ATI X1300 chip.
>> > What is the difference between X -config and system-config-display
>>
>> I switched from an ATI card to an Nvidia last week on FC6 and it worked
>> fine. Xorg detected the change and switched to the non-accelerated nv
>> driver. I then went to Nvidia's site, grabbed the driver, had to mess
>> around with xorg.conf for a while to get acceleration working properly,
>> but all in all it only took about 45 minutes.
>>
>> I can understand your wariness though, I've had big problems in the
>> past, but I think Xorg is a lot more intelligent at defaulting to a
>> sensible config these days. Still, Benjamin Lewis' advice is worth
>> taking.
>>
>> Chris.
>
> If you know that you are going to change the card download the driver
> software before you make the change. After the hardware change boot to
> runlevel 3, install the drivers, and run "system-config-display
> --reconfig".

You might want to hold off upgrading to F7 if your using a X1300, as the
open source driver doesn't support it and ATI's drivers don't yet
support F7.

Man I hate closed source drivers.

--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador
ben.lewis at benl.co.uk

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118