How to get rid of FC8 stuff?

Arch Willingham arch at tuparks.com
Mon Jun 4 20:05:52 UTC 2007

I nice guy over on the http://forums.fedoraforum.org helped me with this and had me run these commands:

yum -y install yum-utils
mkdir rpms;cd rpms
yumdownloader $(rpm -q --qf '%{NAME} ' $(rpm -qa | grep fc8))
rpm -Uhv --oldpackage *.rpm

It worked for the most part. Once I fired off the next to last command, it gave about eight "No Match for argument " errors and then started downloading. This output looked like this:

yumdownloader $(rpm -q --qf '%{NAME} ' $(rpm -qa | grep fc8))
No Match for argument samba-swat
No Match for argument evolution-sharp
No Match for argument yumex
No Match for argument ksh
No Match for argument beagle-evolution
No Match for argument beagle
No Match for argument beagle-gui
No Match for argument lirc
gnome-keyring-0.8-1.fc7.i 100% |=========================| 179 kB 00:01

After it finished, I tried running the next command and it popped back with:

rpm -Uhv --oldpackage *.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
samba = 0:3.0.25a-2.fc8 is needed by (installed) samba-swat-3.0.25a-2.fc8.i386

Then I whacked out the eight error packages and reran the command 'rpm -Uhv --oldpackage *.rpm'. It seemed to work like a charm! Then I yumed back the eight packed I whacked above and all seems to be well.

Arch