Backup?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Jun 4 20:31:30 UTC 2007

At 11:39 AM -0700 6/4/07, Knute Johnson wrote:
>I need to move my mail server and apache to another computer that
>will run F7.  How do I backup my users and keep their passwords and
>mail files?  Shoud I backup /home?  Where are the user passwords
>stored?

User account info is stored in:

    /etc/passwd
    /etc/shadow
    /etc/group
    /etc/gshadow

When setting up the new system, before /any/ user accounts are created,
take all the entries in the general user ID range (>500) and append them to
the corresponding files on the new system.  Then a restored /home and any
other directories that might have those UIDs in them will show properly.

/root is also a "home" directory.

/var/spool/mail may contain user mail, which is also often stored in user
home directories.

/var/www usually contains Apache httpd's files, and they may also be stored
in user home directories.

/var/lib/mysql contains the MySQL databases.

/var may contain other useful directories, depending on what is running.
Tomcat may serve from /var, or from wherever Tomcat is installed.

/etc should be backed up, in order to have access to the current config
files for Apache httpd, sendmail, etc.

You should set up and test the new server completely before taking down the
old server.  You will probably have forgotten something that you want from
the old server.