F7 install: grub prompt on reboot

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jun 4 21:32:06 UTC 2007

Colin Brace wrote:

> I've tried various settings on the #boot line in menu.lst to no avail;
> it keeps dropping me back in the grub prompt.
>
> At this point, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing; Any
> suggestions would be most welcome.

Why not try answering the grub prompt?
Start with

grub>root (hd0,1)

and similar, and see which grub likes.
Then

grub>kernel /vm<tab>
should offer various completions; add

grub>kernel /vmlinuz... root=LABEL=/

or whatever the label is.
(You have to use labelled partitions with F7, as far as I can see.)
Then

grub>initrd /init<tab>

and finally

grub>boot

> Also, where did I go wrong? Was it a mistake to let the installer
> configure (ie, update) Grub?

I suspect the fault lies in anaconda -
they seem to me to have screwed up the grub configuration.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366