Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

stan stanl at cox.net
Mon Jun 4 23:51:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:08:30 -0500
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> >
> > Just so you know, you can use a DVD on a system with a 500 MHz CPU,
> > I do it.  I manage burning error-free DVDs quite nicely on a 500
> > MHz Celeron with around only 380 megs of RAM, on FC4.  The minimum
> > PC specs you see on DVD packaging generally is regards to what
> > you'll need to run Windows and the DVD burning software that they
> > provide with the burner.  Linux doesn't have the same overheads
> > (inefficiencies) that Windows has.
>
> Umm? Windows XP runs my benchmark programs faster than Fedora does.
> Please don't spread FUD. There are good reasons for some people
> to run Linux rather than Windows, but "Windows is more inefficient"
> is not one of them.
>
> Mike
Are these programs architecture/software neutral?  i.e. Were they
designed with Windows in mind?  I'm not saying that it doesn't, I'm
just curious about all those assumptions that are built in.

Sort of the way I feel about climate modelling.  Or to quote Mark
Twains famous dictum "Lies, damn lies, and statistics".  :-)