Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jun 5 09:24:42 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:

>> Yes, it is....
>>
>> If yum fails during the download phase and you run it again it will
>> skip the
>> packages it has previously downloaded.
>
> You presume each package can come down in one piece. I'm not, since
> I know better. Downloading at 28Kbps means that even 1MB takes 5
> minutes. KDE libs is 15Meg, for example.

Wow, your dial-up is that unstable that it can't download 15Meg in one
sitting?  You must end up doing a lot of "wget -c".

BTW, about 12 years ago the maximum speed I got on dialup to my office was
9.6kbps and I was living in an old house with really bad wiring so I doubt I
was getting that much.  Yet, my connection rarely dropped.  So, if the
infrastructure you are saddled with is worse than that you have my sincerest
pity.

>>> Second, one may not have a large piece of disc to devote just to
>>> downloading a huge ISO image, while one may be able to do 700MB pieces
>>> one by one.
>>>
>>> Others may occur to you.
>>

>> I suppose one could sit around all day throwing up roadblocks to
>> anything.
>
> I suppose one could shrug off problems which affect
> other people all day long as well.

I still say Wolfgang was right.  It is much easier to whine about ones state
of affairs than to do something about it.