Any changes in the way fonts are rendered in Fedora 7?

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Tue Jun 5 13:45:06 UTC 2007

Hello, Everyone
After an almost seamless install of Fedora 7, I have been beating my
head against the wall for a few days with this font related issue.
All of the fonts in OpenOffice.org, Firefox, GTK2 based applications
and the KDE that ships with Fedora 7 are beautifully antialiased.
They look exactly how they used to look up till the moment that I did a
fresh install of Fedora 7 on my former Fedora Core 6 system.  So you
are wondering, what is your problem?  Glad you asked...
I have compiled and installed KDE from Branch 3.5 SVN.  I have been
doing this for years, and I have never had an issue with the fonts not
being antialiased.  But now, any application that is a part of my
Branch 3.5 install of KDE has bad looking fonts.  I used to be able to
choose about any TrueType font that I liked and it would be beautifully
antialiased.  But this is no longer the case.
I don't normally run default Fedora KDE applications from within my
Branch 3.5 user account, but I have done so lately to experiment with
this issue.  I have screenshots of Branch 3.5 SVN Konqueror and Fedora
7 Konqueror next to each other on my monitor with the same content in
each instance.  The screenshots clearly show that if I run the F7
version, the fonts are antialiased, and if I run the Branch 3.5 SVN
version, they are not antialiased.
I have tried this with completely fresh user accounts with the same
results.

So, do any of you know of any changes done in the way fonts are
rendered in Fedora 7 that would make me have bad looking fonts in my
Branch 3.5 SVN install of KDE?  Since the answer to this question Could
eliminate the need to send you links to the volumes of screenshots that
I have on this issue, I will not bloat this message with descriptions
of all my screenshots. But if anyone is interested, here is a link
to a directory that contains all of them:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/KDE/

I have downloaded that last year to year and a half of the feora-list
and fedora-devel-list archives and I will check those out later as
well.  Additionally, my attempts at Googling for help were not
fruitful...

Steven P. Ulrick

--
 08:28:53 up 10 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.37, 0.30