Fedora 7 live CD on ThinkPad 600X fails

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Tue Jun 5 21:37:49 UTC 2007

On 06/04/2007 10:14 PM, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

> I'm having difficulty with trying out the Fedora 7 Live CD on my old IBM
> ThinkPad 600X.  When I boot from the CD, I quickly get the messages:
>
> pci 0000:00:01.0: Error creating sysfs bridge symlink, continuing
> pci 0000:00:02.0: Error creating sysfs bridge symlink, continuing
> pci 0000:00:02.1: Error creating sysfs bridge symlink, continuing
>
> then a short pause and then the message
>
> cpufreq: change failed with new_state 1 and result
>
> then a longer pause (about 1 minute) and then the message:
>
> --------------------------------------
> WARNING: Cannot find root file system!
> --------------------------------------
>
> Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue
> the boot sequence.
>
> and then a bash prompt.
>
> I can get rid of the first messages by adding the option pci=noacpi to
> the boot command line, but the real problem is that the CD drive doesn't
> seem to get recognized.  I know the drive works: I can boot off of it,
> and in Fedora Core 6 (which I have currently running on the system, with
> acpi=noirq), it works fine.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what I can try next to get the Live CD to work?
>
> Although what I really want to know is whether the system can run under
> F7 (that's why I'm trying out the Live CD).
>
> Since I only have an extremely limited environment with the interactive
> shell, I can't record any data from the F7 kernel.

Despite the problems with the Live CD I upgraded the system to F7 (using
the "yum upgrade" method).  Everything went fine, except after reboot
the X display was no good.  But "X -configure" from runlevel 3 sorted
that out.

The only problem now is that the CD drive is not recognized.  That's not
a big deal for me since I didn't use it much anyway.

I haven't tried hibernate/suspend yet.

--
Sjoerd Mullender