Boot temporarilly stalls on "Bringing up interface eth0"

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 6 01:56:34 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>> Dylan Semler wrote:
>> > Every time I boot my laptop the system freezes for while right when it
>> > says Bringing up interface eth0.  The mouse does not move and the
>> little
>> > spinny boot-thingy in rhgb stops rotating.  After about a
>> > minute--sometimes longer--it continues to boot.  This is independent of
>> > whether or not I have an ethernet cable plugged in.  Has anyone else
>> > seen this?  I notice this on F7 only, it didn't happen with previous
>> > installations of Fedora.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dylan
>> >
>> > Type faster.  Use Dvorak:
>> > http://dvzine.org
>> >

>> I had the problem with a pcmcia wireless card but after I booted up and
>> stopped the connection from coming up with boot, it worked fine. The
>> Wired connection works fine.
>>
>> Did you consider to stop the interface from being started until the
>> system is booted?
>>
>> Jim
>
> As a seasoned Fedora user why do you need the rhgb eye-candy? Turn it
> off when you need to troubleshoot boot problems.

I leave it on now because there are few problems that I encounter with
Fedora. I am too lazy to turn it off.
In my case with the wireless hanging, the abbreviated messages related
to what was being loaded was descriptive enough. Details were not needed.

Since his problem the original poster describes the activity of the rhgb
stopping or pausing, details might be needed. Choosing the append option
in grub and removing rhgb quiet might help further diagnose the problem.
Maybe just binding the NIC to its MAC address is all that is needed so
the identity of the interface is known to the programs with less room
for errors by misidentification of hardware.

Jim