Need help w/ bcm43xx-mac80211 issues? (ndiswrapper considered harmful)

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:36:07 UTC 2007

> I was able to get my new shiny Lenovo Lappy working and I was _almost_
> happy until I noted the tranfer speeds.  I'm only getting 20 Kbytes/sec
> 2 feet from my AP on my wireless network while my Atheros based machines
> get 3 Mbytes/sec 50ft from my AP.
Are you getting that with bcm43xx or with ndiswrapper?

I beat my head on the wall for 3 days trying to get ndiswrapper to
work on my bcm 4311 in an HP dv9208nr.

I found that I only had to add one line to my ifcfg-wlan0, after I
blacklisted bcm43* in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.  I added the
following to that file:

SECURITYMODE=open

Without that line in ifcfg-wlan0 is the system would not associate
with my router that is using wep encryption.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at