Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Jun 6 03:20:38 UTC 2007

On Tuesday June 5 2007 15:15:22 Mike McCarty wrote:
> Appreciate that info. However, she's not a TV watcher, and would not pay
> for cable. I suppose if the digital line were available w/o having
> to pay for TV she might go for it. It would depend on the rates.

Brace yourself - it's $60/mo - there's a problem with it, which is latency.
Your bits have to travel 26k miles out to space, then back, and then the
second round trip for all the hand shaking and so forth. Once a connection is
established, it's supposed to pretty fast, but, if you're doing a lot of
jumping around from site to site, it's reported to be annoying. Things that
are associated with time-outs also tend to occur more frequently. This is all
second-hand info from a friend who had it, when I was investigating getting
it in rural VA. Then they brought wireless broadband in via land based
transmission which was quite nice - it was also $60/mo, though

--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.