network monitoring

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:45:00 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 12:16:34 Andy Green wrote:

> Yep no doubt.  But what does it mean?  It's now a reasonable duty
> expected of the company to read all the employee traffic and you are
> negligent if you're not doing it?  Don't worry it's just a rhetorical
> question.

No, there's no obligation to do that - it's just that if you don't you can be
imprisoned for the behaviour of your employee.  I doubt if any company
routinely monitor like that, but if it was suspected that someone was using
company time and bandwidth for an illegal purpose, it would certainly be
sensible to monitor that person's activities for a time.  It's not something
I ever needed to do, but I can see that it could happen.

Anne