Yum problem

stan stanl at cox.net
Wed Jun 6 17:53:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:41:13 -0700
Paul Erickson <paule at sfu.ca> wrote:

> Tony Nelson wrote:

> >> You have tried several mirrors resturning 404 errors - those
> >> servers didn't have the requested file, at the address the client
> >> requested it. This happens from time to time, thanks to mirrors
> >> being out of sync (not being ready).  Eventually yum should find
> >> one that's okay, but sometimes you might have to try a few times,
> >> or wait a while for the mirrors to finish sorting themselves out.
> >>

> > No, he has a problem with his upgrade from FC5 to FC6.  It's trying
> > to get .fc5 packages from an FC6 updates repo.  There should not be
> > any such packages in updates.
> >
> How do I fix this? I tried doing a clean install with FC6, but it
> kept having trouble
> with the video card. I even tried a text install, and then did a yum
> update, and still
> could not get it to work. The machine I am trying to upgrade is an HP
> Vectra VL8
> with a Matrox MGA G100 card.
>
> Thanks for the replies.

You could go here
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html#yum
and make sure the files in /etc/yum.conf.d/ point to FC6 respositories
instead of FC5 repositories by running the suggested commands.  Then
run a yum update.  Make sure that the correct kernel package is loaded
as the original distribution had i586 instead of i686.  That will be in
the release notes link.  It might not matter if you have an older
machine.