Proposal for New Installation Features

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Jun 6 22:14:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:09:07 -0500
"Browder, Tom" <Tom.Browder at fwb.srs.com> wrote:

> Since reading more about labels for F7 I've labeled my existing systems
> something like this:
>
> device       label         mount point
> ------       -----         -----------
> /dev/sda1    disk1boot     /boot
> /dev/sda3    disk1root     /
> /dev/sdb1    disk2usrlocal /usr/local
>
> When I try to install, anaconda reports the labels correctly, and when I
> select the proper mount point and have / and /boot reformatted, the
> labels get changed to:
>
> device       label         mount point
> ------       -----         -----------
> /dev/sda1    /boot         /boot
> /dev/sda3    /             /
> /dev/sdb1    disk2usrlocal /usr/local    # no change
>
> My desire is to keep my old partition labels because I move disks around
> a lot and a unique label for existsing partitions, whether or not I
> reformatted the disk, would be useful in many cases.

Weird. That is exactly the sort of thing I did, and when I reformatted
and installed my partitions labeled FC7ROOT32 and FC7BOOT32 they kept
those labels even though I make the mountpoints be / and /boot.
(Same thing with FC7ROOT64 and FC7BOOT64 in the 64 bit install).

I did go through the "custom partitioning" path in the install, perhaps
you picked a different option?