FC7 bug

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jun 7 00:55:50 UTC 2007

| From: Jeffrey Ross <jeff at bubble.org>

| Well looks like my lock-up problem is caused by the same bug, I got a copy
| of the output on a serial console

I'm glad to hear that you got a serial console working.  I sure with I
had a serial port.

| BUG: warning at kernel/softirq.c:138/local_bh_enable() (Tainted: G   M  )

This is not a panic report.  Execution continues after a BUG.  So this
is probably not the cause of your lockups.  Actually, it might be part
of the same problem, but this message does not itself signify a
lockup.

| Question, why is my kernel "Tainted"  I have not installed anything that
| wasn't either on the distro DVD or in the fedora repo.

Interesting question.  I googled and found this document:
  https://secure-support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/250/3582750_f.SAL_Public.html

It seems that the taint is M: a machine check interrupt happened.  I
don't really know how serious that is.  I'd expect something that was
a machine check to get logged.  Do you see anything looking back in
/var/log/messages?