Install in user mode?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu Jun 7 20:43:45 UTC 2007

Is there any technique out there (I've seen vague references
to "cluster manager") that will allow me to do the equivalent
of installing fedora in user mode to a disk image file?

In other words, I want to be able to do the install without
taking down the system, but instead simply install to a
filesystem image on disk or an actual physical disk drive.

Then I could pop the drive in another box, or boot it as a VM,
etc.

I'm not actually needing this for anything, I'm just curious
if this sort of thing has been done, and if so, what I should
be reading to find out more :-).