FC7 Grub problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jun 7 21:50:42 UTC 2007

stan wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:56:24 +0200
> "antonio montagnani" <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My grub stops at start-up with grub> saying that a minimum hash etc,
>> etc... It seems that something is wrong in my grub.conf:
>>
>> my grub.conf in /etc is:
>>
>> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
>> #
>> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to
>> this file # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>> #          root (hd0,0)
>> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
>> #boot=/dev/sda
>> timeout 5
>> default 0
>> 	root (hd0,0)
>> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro
>> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>> initrd /initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img

For comparison, my default install version of grub.conf looks like below:

  cat /etc/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda6
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
         initrd /initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img