Hard drive install (upgrade) from USB drive?
arch at tuparks.com
Fri Jun 8 14:34:59 UTC 2007
I have done it a bunch on six machines (its how I upgrade each time). I got this from this website (http://www.duncanbrown.org/linux/system_administration/fedora_core_grub_install/)and have used it with FC5, FC6 and FC7:
1. Put the ISO on the USB device (because I have a terrible memory, I put it in the root but you can put it anywhere as long as you can remember the directory!).
2. Either grab the kernel image and initrd root image or open the ISO and extract vmlinuz and initrd.img.
3. rename vmlinuz to /boot/FC7-install
4. rename initrd.img to /boot/FC7-install.img
5. Add these three lines to your /boot/grub/grub.conf
title Fedora Core 7 Installation
6. Reboot your machine. As it boots you have the chance to this the space bar, do so and pick the menu item called "Fedora Core 7 Installation"
7. It will go through the normal set of questions. Once it gets to asking you where you want to install from, pick hard drive and the pick the USB drive (on every install I have done, it is the very last dive listed at the bottom). The enter the directory in the bottom box (or just "/" if you put it in the root).
8. From there it will let you pick the rest of the options.
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]On Behalf Of Wil Cooley
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:01 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Hard drive install (upgrade) from USB drive?
On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:46:31 +0000, Wil Cooley wrote:
> According to the installation guide, I should be able to do a hard drive
> installation from sources on a USB drive:
> "Once you have booted your computer, you may use ISO image files of the
> Fedora discs to continue the installation process. The ISO files must be
> located on a hard drive that is either internal to the computer, or
> attached to the machine by USB."
> My experience, however, is that it does not work; when I boot into the
> installer and am prompted for sources, my USB drive is not among the
> options presented as source partitions.
Let me broaden my question a bit: Has anyone actually installed or upgraded
from an ISO file residing on a filesystem on a USB mass storage device?
(USB CD/DVD-ROM doesn't count.) If so, how did you boot?
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list at redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
More information about the fedora-list