Google earth on FC6

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jun 8 18:29:30 UTC 2007

Sultan Saini wrote:
> Direct rendering was already enabled - it was one of the first checks I did
> - I should have included that info in my original post.
>
> In any case, I added the modules section, as you suggested, but with no
> luck.

OK, so out of dis-belief, I went and fired up googleearth myself.  And
guess what!  It hung!  Mouse still worked, but the keyboard was dead.

I SSHed in from another computer and discovered that googleearth-bin was
eating all the CPU it could.  So, I issued a "telinit 3" to shutdown X.

No dice (at least nothing visible happened).  So, I killed
googleearth-bin with a "kill -9" and the whole computer came to a
standstill!   Time to re-boot.  (Arrrrrgh, I hate it when that happens!)

Being a glutton for punishment, after the computer rebooted (and I got
the wireless up again, took about 13 minutes!) I fired up googleearth
again.  This time it worked!  Go figure.  So, it does work, just not
reliably.  As I recall, my laptop had an uptime of over 9 days before
the hang, so I suspect something in the X11 environment gets corrupted
after a while causing googleearth to go crazy.

Does it work for you either after restarting X or after a reboot?

Even once?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com