Is Fedora 7 an upgrade over Fedora Core 4?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 9 00:22:09 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>    It's been 2 days since I loaded F7 on this computer with a 160 GB HD
> and so far I have got one application (Thunderbird) working after being
> told which lib file to yum in. This should have been in F7 by default.
I've had no such issues. Do you mean from the subject that you had
fedora 4 installed, and then you inserted the fedora 7 dvd and chose to
upgrade ? All apps I use at work {thunderbird, firefox, gkrellm,
vmware-server {not part of fedora}, vnc, tsclient, wired networking,
1400x1050 display} all work fine.

>    I am still trying to get Skype to work. I have tried a lot of things
> but still not the intuitive things used here on Fedora Core 4. They
> don't exist on F7.
Is this in relation to skype, or in general operation ? How do you mean ?

>    There are some harder things I must have working at least as well
Can you actually speak in specifics here ? Which packages ?

> as
> here on FC4 or I will just stay here. Getting F7 to do things is a pain.
> I think for my way of doing things I better drop back to Red Hat 9, or
> even 7.
In my opinion on the hardware I have it on: dell poweredge 1600sc and hp
compaq nx6320 {core 2 duo}, Fedora 7 is a definite improvement on all
previous releases.

DaveT.