updating Fedora 7 & KDE

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 9 01:06:32 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Kevin Kempter wrote:
>> Hi List;
>>
>> in the past I've always had to add a KDE repo to /etc/yum.repos.d/ and
>> run a "yum update" or "yum install <kde stuff>" to get a fully updated
>> system.
>>
>> Likewise after my initial install I usually had lots of updates to be
>> applied.
>>
>> Upon installing Fedora 7 I went to the update tool (smart I think) and
>> I only had a short list of updates.
>>
>> Is this really the full list of updates to bring my system current?
>
> Yes.
Further to that, there is quite a few updates in updates-testing and
announced on fedora-test-list. If you would like to help out the fedora
project, you could enable the updates-testing repo. An update would then
get these testing releases. They could of course introduce more problems
than they solve - that is why they are in the testing repository - to
get wider feedback from real users.

>> When I did the install I went to the dialog to add additional
>> repositories and it wanted a url and a name only. I had no clue what
>> url to enter so I skipped it.
>
> This is only required if you need to select packages from a third party
> or custom repository.
The URL to enter must be a folder. The folder must contain the repodata
folder, which must contain repomd.xml and a few other files that
describe to yum what packages are available in that repo, and what the
file locations are.

DaveT.