F7 and (not) automounting either DVD or USB drive

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at redhat.com
Sun Jun 10 03:40:43 UTC 2007

In the recent flood of email, I seem to recall this was addressed, and
I appologize for not being able to quickly locate it myself. I'm
missing something here...

Anyway. I've gotten F7 installed, and I'm starting to get things put
back to rights. However, I'm baffled by the inability to automount a
DVD or USB hard disk under Gnome as a normal user. Both automount for
root, which of course is a _bad_ way to be logged in, but not for a
normal user. su'ing to root allows mounting by hand.

Something in Hal or Hotplug is amiss, and I'd like to fix it.

Guidance appreciated, and thank you for use of your bandwidth.