Yum: Cannot open/read repomd.xml

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Jun 10 04:21:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 06:50:07AM +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2007/6/9, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>:
> >On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:37:54 -0500
> >J Taylor <justay at swbell.net> wrote:
> >
> >> "Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: udpates"
> >
> >udpates? Is that a typo in your message or is that really what it says?
> >
> >--
> >MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com
> >
> >--
> >

> please check your repo file for updates:
>
> it should be:
>
> [updates]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Updates
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
> enabled=0
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
>
> Same problem here during upgrade (old repo didn' work, different baseurl!!!

The current Fedora 7 /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo has:

[updates]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

This is really what you want.  The mirrorlist referenced in Antonio's
email no longer exist, or if they do, you really don't want to use
them anymore...  The redirector at mirrors.fedoraproject.org is much
much better.  Trust me - I've been re-writing it for the last 6
months... :-)

Check your /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory for .rpmnew files.  Chances
are, the proper config file is just a rename away.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch