fglrx and Fedora 7 works!

Fabio Comolli fabio.comolli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 14:27:31 UTC 2007

Hi

On 6/10/07, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Afaik the older ATI drivers only work with older versions of Xorg so
> > your solution does not work.
>
> We're in the middle of a thread where the OP says that the currently
> released flgrx drivers don't work with F7,

Correct

>but that the older FC6
> drivers *do* work with F7!

False

> So unless you think the OP is a liar, how
> does this "not work"?

You probably misunderstood what works and what does not work.
In short:

* older fglrx drivers don't work with any xorg-server ever released
for F7, both during
  the test period than now with the final release;
* newer fglrx drivers don't work with F7 xorg-server package, but work with some
  versions released during  F7 test period (and with FC6 ones).

Is it OK now? I'm not a native English speaker so please correct me if
I did not make myself clear.

> Noone is claiming that the problem is Fedora's.  ATI needs to fix their
> drivers.

Yes, that's their fault. The binary blob within fglrx simply crashes
with a pretty useless (for non-ATI employees) traceback.

> Especially if the problem is related to the 2.6.22 kernel that
> F7 ships with and the problem is not the fault of any RH patches/fixes
> not taken from upstream.

Kernel versions don't matter for this issue. By the way, I don't use
Fedora kernel nor livna kernel module.

>If that's the case, then repo's (like Livna,
> which packages fglrx for F7) need to replace their packages with an
> older version which *does* work with F7.

[ Hope I've already explained this ]

For more detailed analisys, please go to Phoronix forums (google is
your friend).

Just a side note: This is what my system runs:

[fcomolli at tycho ~]$ uname -a
Linux tycho 2.6.22-rc4 #1 SMP Fri Jun 8 20:28:36 CEST 2007 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

[fcomolli at tycho ~]$ rpm -q xorg-x11-server-Xorg
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7

[fcomolli at tycho download]$ rpm -qa|grep ATI
ATI-fglrx-control-center-8.37.6-1.f7
kernel-module-ATI-fglrx-2.6.22-rc4-8.37.6-1.f7
ATI-fglrx-8.37.6-1.f7
ATI-fglrx-devel-8.37.6-1.f7

> > Rahul
>
> --