I know the answer re: Theater 550 -- now what?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jun 10 17:05:47 UTC 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 17:00, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I unfortunately have an ATI TV Wonder 550 TV tuner card with a Theater
> 550 chipset.  There is no driver for this card and, in fact, it is not
> even listed in the hwdata file.  I submitted bugzilla request 221205 in
> January and have received no notice that anything is happening.  I have
> just googled and found a few current non-Fedora mailing list discussions
> about this non-existent driver.  The prognosis isn't good.
>
> It seems the fault lies with ATI/ADM.  I have emailed ATI/ADM and been
> told by them that the "card is sold as is".
>
> I really don't want to buy another card because the ATI TV Wonder was a
> Christmas present and works well in WindowsXP.  Which isn't a major
> point because I spend about 90% of my time in Linux now adays.
>
> Any suggestions?  Would bugging bugzilla help?  Contacting ATI/ADM
> again?  Does anyone know anything definitive about this card or its
> driver? Or, should I give up and just buy another card?
>
> --
> Regards Bill

Reluctantly I say, buy another card. I've been back to Jan 2007 on the v4l
archives, and only one post. This again suggesting contacting ATI/AMD, who
seem to be reluctant to release details of the chipset.

It says "not yet supported" at,
http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/ATI/AMD

And at the bottom of the page under "related threads", the first one says
something similar.

I have an Hauppauge Win TV Express card (bttv driver), and only bought it
after asking a few questions on lists first. It works fine for analogue TV,
but saying that, I did have to go through the hoops a bit, setting various
options, so that I could receive transmissions from France, Belgium, and the
UK. It was my first TV card, and I think it took about 2 weeks to get it
working on various distro's, some of which needed different options depending
on the kernel I was booted up with.

All the best.

Nigel.

btw. Pre next Christmas, put it about a bit, that if your friends/folks are
thinking about buying you hardware, get them to check out if it works under
linux before buying.