DLink DWL-G510/Ralink RT61 and Fedora 7

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 13:18:55 UTC 2007

On 11/06/07, Joachim Kunze <joachim at resistance.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 11.06.2007, 13:01 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Underwood:
<some reformatting>

> > I need to install a wireess PCI card in a desktop machine, and I am
> > considering purchasing a  D-Link DWL-G510 Rev C which is reported to
> > have the RT61 chipset. Has anyone had experience of getting this to
> > work with Fedora 7?
> >
> > Any suggestions as to alternative PCI wireless cards which work "out
> > of the box" and are readily available currently?

<snip>

> I'd recommend an atheros chipset based card as the performance is
> better. If you want to have the card supported in the future by the
> Fedora project go for the ralink-based card.

Having used the rt2500 under FC6 and Ubuntu (PCI rather than
mini PCI versions), I'd add that the interface used for WPA is
slightly different to other chipsets (uses iwpriv commands).
This means you might have to do some configuration to get
encryption working (though once you do it will work).  You may
also want to check their current support for 64bit environments
if you run x86_64.

--
imalone