no more /dev/video

Francois frmas at free.fr
Mon Jun 11 16:43:49 UTC 2007

On lundi 11 juin 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Francois wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I used to use my webcam which worked fine with my system (fedora core
> > 6). I stopped using it, about 2 or 3 months ago. Now I want to use it,
> > and it doesn't work anymore.
>
>     Hi Fran, it has been months ago since you got your webcam working on
> FC6 but I wonder if you recall where you got the information on doing
> it? I have a USB plugged Logitek webcam with mike that takes all kinds
> of software to get working on Windows. It sounds like a kernel rebuild
> is necessary.
>
>     If your getting the huge amount of update stuff I am now as a new
> user of FC6 then the kernel you fixed may not be the your now using. Got
> to /boot/ and see how many kernels are there. You can direct which to
> use.

I've upgraded to a brand new kernel I've just compiled 2.6.21.4, but that's
exactly the same. The webcam doesn't work. I'm back to my old kernel,
2.6.17.8.
I've tried to downgrade to the old driver I used to use (linux-uvc driver,
revision 95, instead of the one actually available 110), but it fails the
same. Strange.... Francois