set hostname with dhcp + NM?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Jun 11 18:13:46 UTC 2007

Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I seem to be unable to register my hostname when using dhcp + NM.
>
> I notice in /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf:
> send host-name "nbecker4";  # temporary RHL ifup addition
>
> But I want this also in /etc/dhclient-eth2.conf, which is just blank.  Who
> is writing this file, and how can I add this entry (so it will persist?)
Actually, you want to move upstream to the configuration files that
determine the host name.  I'm using:

[dave at spindle ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
HOSTNAME=spindle.local.davenjudy.org

and:

[dave at spindle ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
# Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
PEERDNS=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=spindle
TYPE=Wireless
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no

This seems to work.  NM reads these files in order to determine what to
send on a DHCP request.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce