Fedora Core 7 does not turn off my computer

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jun 11 22:05:28 UTC 2007

On Monday 11 June 2007 23:20, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 7:43 PM -0700 6/10/07, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
> >Fedora Core 7 does not actually turn off my computer
> >when I select shutdown.
> >Fedora Core 4 and 5 would turn off my computer after the system halted.
> >Can I get Fedora Core 7 to do this as well?
>
> Normally, yes.  Check the dmesg log for errors detecting ACPI information
> (or APM if you have a 7 year old computer), as it is ACPI (APM) that does
> the actual power off.
>
> BTW, does the poweroff command also fail to turn off the computer?
> --
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

This problem seems to be related to later kernels, and some hardware. for
example, FC5 on an Aiiifriend machine, celeron 1.3Ghz. The kernel that was
installed originally from the cdrom install shuts down the machine ok, but
later kernels had a problem. After some posts to the list Tim suggested
acpi=force , and this worked for me with FC5. Aaron Konstam had similar
problems with FC6, and for him lacpi worked. And that is lacpi, not lapic
appended to the kernel line in Grub.

There is clearly some problem in the way that kernels 2.6.17, and later are
handling shutdown on some hardware.

On my other machine, an old Gateway 500, using a P111 katmai, FC5 has no
problems shutting down completely no matter which kernel I bootup with. I
also have FC6 on this machine, and that shuts down completely as well.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Nigel.