suggestion for mailing list

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jun 11 23:48:12 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 00:15, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>      Dear friends,
>
>   What's wrong with top posting?
>
>      Take care
>      Oliver

Everything is wrong with top posting to a mailing list.

A mailing list isn't a one to one conversation as per using IM, where you're
having a chat with a friend.

if your replying to a question on a forum, you are presented with a blank
page. You can just send a reply without any reference to the previous post.
Normally on a forum I say who I'm replying to, but you can also set a quote
box up, which gives some indication to what you are replying to.

if you reply on a mailing list, you are not, and I repeat, not, in a one to
one conversation. 10's, or 100's of folks are reading these lists, and they
expect to see the thread  running in some sort of progressive way.

You have just replied to Tony Nelson's post by top posting. I am replying to
your post by posting beneath your query about top posting, and beneath that
is Tony's original post.

How the hell can anyone follow a conversation like that???

It's like starting to read a book that starts in chapter 2, then goes to
chapter 3, then goes to chapter 1.

Just think about it before you reply eh!

I'm obviously wasting my time it replying to this top poster, but what the
hell.

Nigel.