two questions from a novice

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jun 12 03:12:32 UTC 2007

At 8:20 PM -0400 6/11/07, Jace Carlson wrote:
>First, I've had this problem with Firefox (under Fedora Core 6) for a
>few weeks, and it is annoying.  I am unable to find a fix on my own, so
>I'll ask here: I upgraded to the most recent 1.5.x release, and after a
>few uses, the next time I start the browser, I get a dialog stating "!
>Error launching browser window: no XBL binding for browser" -- click OK
>and it shuts down.

Have you rebooted since upgrading?  I had a problem recently on FC6 with
(IIRC) bonobo-activation-server running amok and using lots of memory.
Logging out and back in can cure such transient issues, and so will
rebooting.

>Second, I'm one of those unlucky few who doesn't have a DVD burner, so
>after downloading Fedora 7, I am unable to install it.  I have a single
>hard drive and a dual boot configuration with Win XP and Fedora Core 6.
>I have a copy of the iso on both NTFS and Ext3.  When I boot to the
>installer, it gives me the option of installing from the hard drive...
>but no matter where I put the iso under XP or FC6, I am unable to find
>it.  The help file says to mount the iso using the following command:
>"su -c 'mount -o loop =t iso9660 <isofilename> <mountpoint>' provided
>that <mountpoint> physically exists.  That works wonderfully...  while I
>remain under FC 6, but when I boot to the installer, no such mount point
>can be found.

You don't need to loopback mount the ISO to install from it.  What you do
need is to be able to mount the partition the ISO is on.  I don't know if
you can do that from NTFS or LVM volumes.  I do such installs from a FAT32
volume.

>...So, I downloaded the iso once again to that
>computer, hoping that I could use the ftp option over my local network.
>However, due to SE settings or whatever, I am unable to ftp or even
>telnet back and forth to a computer sitting next to this one.  Attempts
>to make it work with FTP, http, Samba, NFS, and anything else have
>failed due to my ignorance.

Could be a firewall issue.  See what system-config-securitylevel says.

>So...  I have 3 copies of the F7 iso within inches of where I need to
>get to it in order to install/upgrade, but I can't for the life of me
>figure out what to do next.  I refuse to use the "online" option again,
>as I don't want to pull out any more hair than I already have on an
>idiotic installer that doesn't even know how to handle an internet hiccup.

File a bug against Anaconda.  Sure, others have files such bugs, but more
complaints may finally lead to action.