Security updates, where to find?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 12 04:41:52 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Join the announce list.  You'll get an e-mail about each update,

Eric:
> Thanks, I have done that, and in the last few hours I have gotten a few
> dozen update notices.
>
> Of all of the update notices I've received since mid afternoon that
> concerned F7, not a'one (not a single one) shows up in Software Updater as
> being an updated version of an installed package.

You get notified when updates are made, it's some time later before
mirrors have the files available.  There's definitely advantages in
having advance notice.  Just wait a while, and they'll come through.

> In some cases, that is because I don' t have the package installed.

Yes, you'll get notices about all updates that are made, it doesn't keep
a database of what you have, and tailor the messages to suit.  The old
Red Hat Network system worked that way (you registered what you had on
their system, and could remotely push updates your way or ignore them;
not much point for single users, but useful for networks).

> In one case, the "updated" version was older than the version I have
> installed (how does that happen?).  The version I have installed is the
> version that resulted from the initial installation plus the first "update
> all" from several days ago.

No idea about that one, other than guessing that an update may get
released without a notice, or before one.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others still run FC4, FC5, & FC6 in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.