Fedora Core 7 does not turn off my computer

E. Robert Tisdale edwin at netwood.net
Tue Jun 12 07:37:13 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:

> Tony Nelson wrote:
>> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>> >Fedora Core 7 does not actually turn off my computer
>> >when I select shutdown.
>> >Fedora Core 4 and 5 would turn off my computer after the system halted.
>> >Can I get Fedora Core 7 to do this as well?
>>
>> Normally, yes.  Check the dmesg log for errors detecting ACPI information
>> (or APM if you have a 7 year old computer),
>> as it is ACPI (APM) that does the actual power off.

Please find attached the relevant part of the dmesg log from my hp pavillion
a730n desktop computer.

I also have an older (1998) desktop computer which reports:

    ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
    ACPI: Interpreter disabled
    pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
    PCI quirk: region 4000-403f claimed bu PIIX4 ACPI

Neither machine will poweroff automatically when it shuts down.

>> BTW, does the poweroff command also fail to turn off the computer?

poweroff also fails to turn off the computer.

> This problem seems to be related to later kernels, and some hardware.
> For example, FC5 on an afriend's machine, celeron 1.3Ghz.
> The kernel that was installed originally from the cdrom install shuts down
> the machine ok,
> but later kernels had a problem. After some posts to the list,
> Tim suggested acpi=force , and this worked for me with FC5.

I't didn't work for me.