help with Fedora core 7 dial-up connection

E. Robert Tisdale edwin at netwood.net
Tue Jun 12 07:49:36 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:

> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>> Claude Jones wrote:
>> >
>> > This reminded me of something. With my 5610b, it was NOT being
>> > assigned ttys2 or ttys3 as was to be expected but a higher one.
>>
>> I don't have any /dev/ttys* devices.
>>
>> > As I recall, I ascertained the tty assignment by running "kudzu -p"
>> > and then created a symlink between that ttys# and /dev/modem
>>
>> Please find the attached output from "kudzu -p".
>> It did find the modem but I don't which, if any, /dev/tty* device is
>> associated with it.
>
> Did you install the Linux driver provided by USR for this device?

Yes.
It created a link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS3
but, apparently, /dev/ttyS3 is *not* a serial device.

When booting, the system tries to set /dev/ttyS3, /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1 and
/dev/ttyS2
but fails.  None of these messages show up in /var/log/messages or
/var/log/dmesg.
setserial does not recognize any of these as serial devices.
I don't think I have access to *any* of my serial ports.