Virtualisation on F7

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Tue Jun 12 14:35:45 UTC 2007

lör 2007-06-09 klockan 19:04 +0100 skrev John Lagrue:

> I need to run Windows guests so (as I understand it) Xen is out of the question.

Should work if you have modern hardware with virtualization support, no?

Qemu does hardware virtualization and software virtualization.
Xen does hardware virtualization and software paravirtualization.

> So I use the new sparkly Virtual Machine Manager to set up and install
> a Windows guest only to find it doesn't work! As soon as the guest
> tries to reboot it loses any knowledge of the CDROM; and there's
> nothing in the Manager to configure one.

Yeah, that's a big problem. In virt-manager you can only boot from a CD
once, during installation. If the install fails or you abort it, you
have to delete the virtual machine and build a new one. And if the
install requires a reboot with the CD still in the "drive", you're out
of luck. At least as far as I can see.

The interface is pretty neat as it is, so I understand why it was
designed this way, but it's not complete enough to handle some rather
common cases.

/abo