Strange net device __tmp*

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Tue Jun 12 21:05:28 UTC 2007

Hi.  I upgraded from Fedora 6 to 7, and now I'm seeing a strange network
interface called __tmp48758425.  The computer has two ethernet cards:

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller
03:02.0 Ethernet controller: ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast
Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)

I'm only using one (I think the first).  Tools like firestarter and
gkrellm see the __tmp interface and report traffic on it, which seems a
little weird.  Does anyone know why this is happening, and should I be
concerned?  I don't think this was happening with FC6....

Current kernel, if it matters: kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7

Thanks,
Reid