N00bie questions about encrypted file systems.

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Tue Jun 12 23:21:05 UTC 2007

I'm about to travel to a "sensitive" part of the world and want to
quickly encrypt selected directories and file systems in a transparent
way just in case.  I know nothing about this and don't have time to
look carefully into it since I leave very soon.

Is there an easy way to do this so that the filesystems and
directories "act normally" after boot.  (Kernel based encryption?)
Preferably I give it a password at boot time and then it
automagically acts like it always has.

One linux FS is /ddriv which holds all my non-system Windows related
files (.doc, .ppt) for Windows XP (which runs as a guest in VMware).
It is accessed from Windows via a Vmware "shared folder." Is Vmware
smart enough to work properly with the encrypted FS.  (I suppose if it's
Kernel based, the answer is "yes")

Will the same method work for both filesystems and directories that
are not filesystems?

Thanks.
Dean