Fixing small FC6

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jun 13 12:20:04 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Hi Gang,
>>
>>    I had 2 of the 5 CD-Roms D/L for FC6 and set this system I'm now
>> using up. I like how it works, but it lacks many applications I will
>> want. So right now I'm D/L the rest of the FC6 CD-Rom's and want to
>> wind up with a large FC6 system. My plan will be to load ALL from the
>> six disks.
>>
>>    There are several ways to do this. I expect the best is to Upgrade
>> the current FC6 with a new one that puts all the stuff in. What is
>> the problem(s) with doing this? I know you DO NOT format the disk and
>> not sure what the loader will do when it sees that a RPM has already
>> been installed.
> yum localinstall /media/"mount name"/Fedora/RPMS/*.rpm
>
> Remember, you would get all the language stuff that you may not be
> interested in, as well as a heap of -devel packages.
>
>>    Is there somewhere I can read about this?
> http://www.google.com.au/search?q=linux+yum+fedora+dvd+iso+as+repo
>
> Once you make your repo use your CDrom {or easier iso images}, then
> the standard pirut tools can be used to install software found on the
> CD's.
>
> DaveT.

Hi DaveT,

    Lots of what you say I do not understand. I will however use the
link to Google and learn more. And I will do it like I know works and
D/L the 5 CD's .iso and put the iso on the CD's and have a set just like
the old days of last month :-)

    It appears you must use the DVD for F7. I did that and it worked. As
for loading the rest of the stuff I will demand a manual selection and
not select the language packages. They DO take up space.

Karl Larsen