Compiling kernel under F-7

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jun 13 13:17:09 UTC 2007

Giancarlo del Rossi wrote:

>> I've a feeling my problems lie with the new disk driver setup,
>> using pata/scsi .
>> I'm not sure what one should include in the kernel .config for this.
>>
> I dont understand, disk driver setup of what ?? orinoco (if i remember)
> is a wifi device, the readme of svn tell:

1) The current version of orinoco_usb does not work
with kernels earlier than 2.6.21.

2) The current version of orinoco_usb does not work
with the kernel that comes with F-7.
(There is a kernel panic.)

3) The previous version of orinoco_usb only worked
with kernel 2.6.19, or possible earlier kernels.

4) My version of vanilla kernel-2.6.19
does not work with F-7.
The system hangs while booting.

For these reasons I compiled a vanilla kernel-2.6.21.
Orinoco_usb works with this,
but as I explained there is a problem with this kernel,
as compiled by me;
it hangs during boot unless I enter the interactive phase
(with 'I') and type more or less at random.

Presumably there is something wrong with my .config -
my question was if anyone has met this problem.

My probably ignorant guess as to why orinoco_usb
does not work with the F-7 kernel, 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7,
is that it has something to do with sharing interrupts.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366