What is en_US ?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Jun 13 14:22:13 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> > I know Americans spell a few words wrongly, but so what?
> > Plenty of people make spelling mistakes,
> > and it doesn't affect one's understanding in the slightest.

en_US leaves room for en_RN (English "Red Neck" variant) and en_EB (English Ebonics variant).  Both variants have some interesting usage that would likely confuse folks.  The Oakland (California) board of education seems to be behind the movement to include en_EB.  Requests for en_RN seems to be prevalent in many of the more rural parts of the U.S. although there is intense debate as to whether en_RN is actually distinct from en_DX (English Dixie variant).  Y'all 'll jus have t'wait to see how that one works out. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce