What is en_US ?

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Jun 13 15:38:14 UTC 2007

On 06/13/2007 11:21:17 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:22:13 -0600

> what?
> slightest.
> > > >

> > en_US leaves room for en_RN (English "Red Neck" variant)
>

> Trivia:
> In the early days Red Hat did in fact include a Red Neck
> installation
> option, because there was a need to translate stuff and
> none of the US
> office at the time spoke anything but en_US and en_Redneck

And I remember that one. I wouldn't enable en_Redneck to
general use, but I howled over the attempt to install RH
using en_Redneck. I vaguely remember laughing so much that
I don't remember getting the silly thing installed, but
that is another issue.

I could wish that somebody familiar with both localization
efforts and that old redneck dialect would recreate it for
F8, even if only as a respin project. It might qualify as a
work of linguistic art 8-).