F7 : gconf cache : how to invalidate it?

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Thu Jun 14 03:32:57 UTC 2007

Skunk Worx wrote:
> I use gconftool-2 in a few scripts to change the desktop background image.
>
> In FC6 I used :
>
> gconftool-2 -s -t string  /gnome/desktop/background/picture_filename
> /tmp/a.jpg
>
> In F7 this works, however if I overwrite /tmp/a.jpg with a new image,
> and re-run the gconftoool-2 command, the image doesn't update.
>
> I've tried changing to another name (e.g; nonexistent or existent) and
> then back to /tmp/a.jpg, also unset/set of the picture_filename file,
> but the old a.jpg is always ends up on the BG even though eog, gimp,
> etc. show the image has changed.
>
> Could someone tell me how to invalidate the cache and force a re-read of
> the image?

Posting for completion. The actual key (the above is wrong) is :

$ gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
/tmp/a.jpg

...not /gnome/desktop.

Anyway, I am working around the regression by generating a unique file
name and deleting the previous one.

I have no idea how long the cache trail is, but I am not changing the
image too often so perhaps it will be okay.

---
SW