recommendations for a 64-bit laptop

Axel axel.azerty at laposte.net
Thu Jun 14 17:32:15 UTC 2007

Globe Trotter a écrit :

> Geared primarily towards research and high-performance computing, but also for
> day-to-day tasks, such as reading fedora mailing lists:-) Ihave been looking at
> the Dell D830: does anyone have any views on that? Other machines? Dell is the
> approved vendor at my workplace. Others require permission, but I can get that,
> I think!
>
> Best,
> Trotter

Any high end core 2 duo based laptop should be ok. If i'm not wrong, the
core 2 duo clocks highest frequency are 2.4Ghz, but @ 2.0, 2.2 or 2.33
Ghz you should'nt see a big difference.

About the memory, there are 2 4Gb laptops models iirrc : the latest
Macbook Pro (but I haven't no idea about the compatibility with Linux)
and one Dell.

Since core 2 duo are very often based on a intel chipset, you should'nt
have problems with the hardware compatibility.

This was the performance part.
If I had to choose a laptop, I 'd look for a "unbreakable" one. The
low-end Dell are very bad in this domain.

A good point for Dell, is the warranty service, and you can try to grab
a discount price with the vendor.