F7 Warning on samba

Boris Glawe public at boris-glawe.de
Thu Jun 14 19:31:48 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani schrieb:
> I had a PC that updated from FC6 to F7. On my network I used Samba to
> share some directories (it is a mixed network)
>
> This afternoon, after updating I have found that I couldn't share any
> directory.....and I could not understand why.
> I had a look at samba.conf file and I found that at the beginning of
> some lines a ; had been added, I guess from the GUI in System/Server
> Settings/Samba...is anybody else reporting same strangeness?? and in a
> fresh installation I can't find it (I mean the GUI)
> After removing ; everything worked

Maybe this does not help you, but I als had a strange change with F7.

The location of /etc/samba/smbpasswd moved to
/var/lib/samba/private/smbpasswd.

Replacing the example smbpasswd in /etc/samba with the old one, had
absolutely no effect, as the samba server expects it's configuration
file in this strange directory. It's strange as it's not in the
configuration directory /etc. As a consequence, it's not enough to
backup /etc for a system update.

Greets Boris