torrents/F-7-i386-disc1.iso.torrent

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 14 19:47:49 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
>
>> Can I do - wget
>> http://bitwagon.com:6969/torrents/F-7-i386-disc1.iso.torrent  and write
>> to a cd from the resulting file?  Will it even download that way?
>>
> No - this will download the torrent file. (The file that provides
> the information to a bit torrent client so it can download the
> file(s).)
>
>> Can I simply remove the .torrent from the file name or is this in some unique
>> format?
>>
> You could if the site had the .iso file in the same directory as the
> torrent, and was allowing downloads, but it probably doesn't. Think
> of the .torrent as instructions on how to download the file(s). A
> torrent can be instructions for downloading more then one file, as
> well as one or more directories to put them in.
>
>> I have hesitated to share in a bittorrent download because of the
>> limitations imposed by my ISP, 5 gigs per 30 days upload, which we are
>> often close to.  I believe they normally want you to share in the data
>> transfer scheme.
>>

> You download will normally be drastically slower if you are not
> sharing - you can still download it that way, but it will probably
> take a lot longer. The idea is that people that share get a higher
> priority for downloads then people that do not.
>
> Mikkel

Ok, Thanks to all for the information, I don't need to download any more
copies of F-7 now and can't afford to burn up the bandwidth anyway until
my numbers drop down a bit for this past month.  But I know what is
expected and it really doesn't fit the limitations that go with the
satellite ISP's such as Wildblue and Hughes.  As for the high speed
cable ISP's like Road Runner, I don't think anyone really knows if they
limit usage in any way, at least I haven't found anything published
although I would not be surprised if they do?

Bob Goodwin