recommendations for a 64-bit laptop

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 22:08:52 UTC 2007

--- Axel <axel.azerty at laposte.net> wrote:

> Globe Trotter a écrit :
> >

> > Geared primarily towards research and high-performance computing, but also
> for
> > day-to-day tasks, such as reading fedora mailing lists:-) Ihave been
> looking at
> > the Dell D830: does anyone have any views on that? Other machines? Dell is
> the
> > approved vendor at my workplace. Others require permission, but I can get
> that,
> > I think!
> >
> > Best,
> > Trotter
> >

> Any high end core 2 duo based laptop should be ok. If i'm not wrong, the
> core 2 duo clocks highest frequency are 2.4Ghz, but @ 2.0, 2.2 or 2.33
> Ghz you should'nt see a big difference.
>
> About the memory, there are 2 4Gb laptops models iirrc : the latest
> Macbook Pro (but I haven't no idea about the compatibility with Linux)
> and one Dell.
>
> Since core 2 duo are very often based on a intel chipset, you should'nt
> have problems with the hardware compatibility.
>
> This was the performance part.
> If I had to choose a laptop, I 'd look for a "unbreakable" one. The
> low-end Dell are very bad in this domain.
>
> A good point for Dell, is the warranty service, and you can try to grab
> a discount price with the vendor.

Thanks very much! I wanted to ask about the graphics card:

there is an option --

Should I get this,

Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 [Included in Price]

or am i better off getting

256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 140M™ [add $117.00]

I am only interested in using Linux. Don't care about Windoze. I will keep it
tho to speak to support if needed.

With regard to the screen, I am unclear about the advantage between any of
these three:

15.4 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel [Included in Price]

15.4 inch Wide Screen WSXGA+ LCD Panel [add $63.00]

15.4 inch Wide Screen WUXGA LCD Panel [add $134.10]

What are the pros and cons on this?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Trotter